Cheesy Portuguese Egg Casserole
- This dish can be made gluten-free using GF flour in the sauce. Otherwise, it is gluten-free already.
- You can make it dairy-free by eliminating the cheese sauce and adding some herbs/spices if you want added flavours. The eggs could be swapped out for more vegetables, but I suppose it changes the recipe completely from ‘Portuguese Eggs’ to a veggie bake.
- You can choose whichever vegetables you’d like in the dish. I usually choose broccoli, spinach and asparagus, but the world is your oyster! Speaking of… maybe don’t put oysters in here!
- The recipe calls for Dainty Chinese Fried Rice, but you could use another kind with different flavours if you prefer
- Lastly, feel free to add any meat to this dish. Sometimes, I add sautéed chicken for extra protein.
Tips & Tricks:
- There aren’t very many tricks to this dish! It’s quite easy.
- If your diet allows for it, I would recommend keeping the eggs in this dish, as well as the cheese sauce. Everything together is a really yummy blend of flavours.
- Serve this as a dinner or a brunch dish. I usually make it for dinner but have had it as an early afternoon brunch and liked it equally. However, if it is served for breakfast, maybe don’t add any meat.
- 6-8 poached eggs
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 package Dainty Chinese Fried Rice
- 1 head (approx. 10 florets) broccoli
- 1 large handful spinach
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp flour (you can use GF)
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Poach eggs in boiling salted water for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, fry rice according to directions on box.
- Cook vegetables of choice. I steamed broccoli and sautéed spinach.
- Melt butter, add flour, then add milk and stir to boiling.
- Add cheese until melted into sauce.
- Place rice, eggs, vegetables and sauce in dish.
- Bake for 5-10 minutes until heated through.
One thought on “Cheesy Portuguese Egg Casserole”
Looks tasty 🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person