Every morning when my alarm goes off, my mind instantly turns me into a hangry beast. I. need. food. And not just a little bowl of cereal or a piece of toast… I need it all. I decided to try Oh She Glows vegan & gluten free ‘Breakfast Cookies‘. These are what hangry dreams are made of. These are filling and power you right through to lunch. I didn’t use vegan raspberry jam for the middle filling, but it would be easy to swap that in.
Feel free to make these vegan (that version is in the Oh She Glows cookbook) or like I did them, gluten-free and not vegan. Plenty of options for this recipe.
Cookies for breakfast? Yep. And they’re healthy. Try this recipe and I promise, you won’t be disappointed.
Ingredients: 1 cup mashed ripe banana (2 large), 2 cups gluten-free rolled oats, 3 tbsp ground brown flax seeds, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/8 tsp raspberry jam (or whatever flavour of jam you prefer- I use PC raspberry) for the centre (after baking), and 1/2 cup peanut butter or almond butter (for drizzle after baking).
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Using a food processor, pulse 2 cups of rolled, gluten free oats until ground, but not into flour. Leave some full large oats.
- In a bowl, mash two ripe bananas and add two tablespoons of cinnamon and a dash of fine grain sea salt.
- Add the oats to the banana mixture and stir until it turns into a wet dough
- Use a retractable ice cream scoop and place dough on a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Flatten cookies slightly, then use your thumb to press down in the middle of the cookie. Create a significant dip in the centre.
- Add a heaping tablespoon of jam (flavour of your choice, although I used raspberry and I can’t get enough of these).
- Bake for 13-15 minutes until slightly crisp.
These are best served with coffee or tea!
Prepare to be amazed and praised by others for this simple, healthy and filling breakfast cookie.